New members say Hi here!

New to the forums? It is neccessary to make an introduction post here.
Mayhemm500

Re: New members say Hi here!

Postby Mayhemm500 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:19 am

Hi guys! Great to be accepted on to the forum! Got a 98 gen 2 Gpz. I’m from Cheshire. Always worked on my own bikes and already enjoying getting my hands dirty with the Gpz! Joined this forum to gain advice and knowledge, and also to share my knowledge too. Anyway, got the bike just over a week ago with 12,000 miles on it... but it’s not been looked after! Usual problems with a 23 year old bike that’s not been maintained properly! The oil was like water, think the thermostat is stuck open because it ain’t getting up to temperature. Pulled the pressure cap off to find rusty water! So full flush and refill needed! Etc etc... somebody has gone to the trouble at some point to convert the front end to twin disc! So maybe it was lived long ago! Ha! See you later. Mayhem.

Mere

Postby Mere » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:37 pm

Welcome Mayhemm500. Loads of helpful posts on here to help you sort the bike. Coolant changes are often neglected on these bikes as it is quite pricey to get a dealer to do it. A straightforward DIY job for home servicers though and at least you know that the job has been done properly. Post a picture when sorted!

Mayhemm500

Postby Mayhemm500 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Cheers Mere! Yeah, found it useful already. Just doing the Cush drive mod as I have some play in it but the Cush drive itself looks ok! Will try and post some pics, tried it earlier but it said the file was too big! Will play around with the settings.

Bink

Postby Bink » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi I am new to the group I have had a gpz 500s for 3 years
And I live in Rotherham

Mere

Postby Mere » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum, plenty of info on here for new and longer term owners. Which model (first or second generation) do you own?

Mayhemm500

Postby Mayhemm500 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:08 pm

A up mate, welcome to the forum! Hows it running? Any issues?

Fandango

Postby Fandango » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:27 am

Hi,

I've been asking questions already so thought i should say hello. I've acquired a gen1 (89) and i'm using it to do the Longest day Challenge on the 21st June, which for anyone that doesn't know, is Lands End to John O'Groats in 24hrs using only A and B road - 1000miles give or take and its for Cancer Research so a worthy cause. Add in getting to Lands End and getting home again its 2000miles in 3 day.

So far i've had the back end out and checked, cleaned, painted and greased everything. I did have to take the dremel to the rear drum but its miles better now. Front end came out yesterday and fork seals are being replaced today, wheel bearings tonight and then on to the carbs! Fingers crossed i can get the valves checked and carbs back on this weekend. I plan to flush the coolant system also and do a check of the electrical systems as well. Finally new tyres and couple of test runs, i'm changing the oil/ plugs once i've run it a bit as its fresh.

That's the plan and beyond seals and wheel bearings i haven't spent that much - tyres and brakes, etc are not part of the budget as they are safety items.

Any tips are welcome as i'm learning the bike as go.

Mere

Postby Mere » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:43 pm

Hi Fandango, I reckon you have chosen a pretty good bike to use for the challenge. Cruised sensibly the GPZ is economical (an easy 70mpg) with reliable 200+mile range. Also very comfortable too, I have ridden 300+ miles in a day on mine with no major aches etc. As for tips, here you go:

1) Replace all the 'made from cheese' cross head fairing / side panel screws with decent stainless allen key equivalents.
2) Fit a £20 chain-oiler, I have a Loobman on mine which works well.
3) Fit a new headlight bulb, I like Osram Nightbreaker. I also prefer LED rear light/brake bulbs as they will continue to work even when one or two of the component LED's have failed.
3) Fit better grips, I like the Oxford 'Fatgrips'.
4) Tape a spare clutch cable to your existing one.
5) £20 note, space blanket & high energy emergency snack bars under the seat.
6) Spare ear-plugs and winter gloves.

Fandango

Postby Fandango » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:11 am

Cheers for the tips, bikes got a Scottoiler, heated grips fitted. I’ve got some LED spot lights to fit and I’m replacing the clutch and throttle cables as they are stiff as anything. I’ll lube them up and use as spares.

I did the event in 2019 on my TDM850, but I’m must like torturing myself, their are broom vans that follow in case you get into trouble so all good in terms of safety.

Mad hatter

Postby Mad hatter » Tue May 11, 2021 6:39 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:20 pm
Welcome to the Kawasaki GPZ 500 UK Owners Forum.
Please make your introductory posts here so you can access the rest of the site.
Hi all, after 10 years away from 2 wheels , I thought I needed to get my fix again. I was lucky enough to pick up a 1993 gpz500s at a stupidly small price. OK it was an mot failure that had not been started in 3 years but who wants an easy life. After looking at this forum for answers and tips, the bike is back to life and running like a dream. Just awaiting a new front tyre and hopefully off to get a fresh mot.
I would like to say thanks to every poster in all sections of the forum as I am sure I have needed an answer from one of them.
Fantastic sight, keep up the good work. Ian