Clutch lever

Need help with your engine? Ask inside.
Fandango

Clutch lever

Postby Fandango » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:06 pm

Hi, I’ve picked up an 89 Gen1. Im going to go through it but I did notice the clutch lever feels stiff/heavy. Just wondering if this is typical or signs of a new cable being needed? (it’s heavier than my TDM850 so that’s my reference point).

I’ll do an intro, but I’m sure I’ll have loads of questions!

Cheers

Mere

Re: Clutch lever

Postby Mere » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi Fandango and welcome to the forum :) Might need a new cable, try lubing the one you have as the cable does get cooked by the engine. Always worth getting a new one and keeping the old as a spare. Clutch is not the lightest on these bikes but should not be noticeable. TDM850 - nice bikes wonder how the GPZ compares? Imagine the TDM has loads more torque!

Fandango

Postby Fandango » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, I’ll get one ordered. The TDM is like riding a diesel (torque on tap) and us quick enough for me.

Mayhemm500

Postby Mayhemm500 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:24 am

Hi fandango. It’s also a good idea to clean the clutch lever pivot bolt, and put a bit of copper grease on it when reinstalling it. Do it with all my bikes and it definitely helps with the feel, especially if they are dry and dirty.

Fandango

Postby Fandango » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:39 am

The bike has some adjustable levers fitted and either the wrong sized bolt has been used or a sleeve of some sort is missing - doubt that’s helping either!

Cheers for the reply

Mere

Postby Mere » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Fandango wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:39 am
The bike has some adjustable levers fitted and either the wrong sized bolt has been used or a sleeve of some sort is missing - doubt that’s helping either!
Cheers for the reply
Both clutch and brake levers are adjustable, clutch lever should have a part threaded bolt for the pivot, check that it has not been replaced with something that is full threaded.

Fandango

Postby Fandango » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Mere wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:13 pm
Fandango wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:39 am
Cheers for the reply
Both clutch and brake levers are adjustable, clutch lever should have a part threaded bolt for the pivot, check that it has not been replaced with something that is full threaded.
It’s had some aftermarket levers fitted. The pivot bolt is part threaded, as a temporary measure I’ve fitted washers to take up the slack to check the effect. Cheers for the reply.