unitrak service/exchange

Need help with your suspension? Ask inside.
Mad hatter

Re: unitrak service/exchange

Postby Mad hatter » Sat May 15, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi all, firstly what a fantastic site, and a godsend. I have recently purchased a 1993 gpz500s. It was an mot failure. Over the last few weeks I have worked my way through the list and having been off the road for 3 years, I can now say bike is us up and running sweet as a nut. Everything the bike needed I have found advice on this site that has been so helpful.
Now the problem I found today, when doing the Haynes manual pre mot check. With the bike on centre stand, if I pull up on swingarm I can see movement on the centre bolt of the unitrack, when I say movement, I mean it moves up and down same as swingarm.
Is this normal ? I cannot tighten bolt anymore. This is the only possible problem before I take for mot.
Thanks for all your help. Ian

Martinj

Postby Martinj » Mon May 17, 2021 3:37 pm

The middle bolt, that’s the one that bolts the dog bones to the Unitrak unit if I remember correctly. The other end of the dog bones bolts to the swing arm, so, if you lift or lower the swing arm, then the Unitrak will move & so will the bolt. How are you managing to move the swing arm up & down with the rear shock in position?
You will probably be better off stripping in down & regreasing. If it hasn’t been done for years you could well have some seized bushes & that is what you are actually seeing.
91 gpz500
79 cx500deluxe
Interceptor 650

yanw

Postby yanw » Tue May 18, 2021 6:28 am

I suspect the plastic bush has worn through due to lack of moly grease/servicing.

Mad hatter

Postby Mad hatter » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:32 pm

Just like to say a big thank you to John for his excellent unitrack exchange. Fitted the new unit and new yss shock absorber today. What a massive difference, I now have no play at all from the suspension. Top work John. Happy in bedfordshire.