E10 fuel

Need help with your fuel system? Ask inside.
Tezzler

E10 fuel

Postby Tezzler » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Hi, the government has announced that it will be changing petrol to E10 later this year, obviously the gpz is an old beast so will it still run ok on this fuel.
I am aware that we don't have issues with electric fuel ignition through having carbs, but will these need adjusting and also will the fuel lines need changing.

Anybody know??

yanw

Re: E10 fuel

Postby yanw » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:54 am

E10 is already out in some places. It will eat fuel lines and clog brass components in standard carbs. Jetting won't need to be changed.

"Super-plus" fuel is staying as E5 (5% ethanol) and old bikes like the GPZ are advised to use this.

I have also started using fuel stabilisers like this (even with the E5 stuff) : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254800300345

Tezzler

Postby Tezzler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks for the reply yanw

I'll have a look at that link you have attached, would there be any kits out there to upgrade the fuel lines and carbs in the future does anyone know?

Just thinking long term, great to hear that super unleaded is remaining. I'm showing my age a bit, but I can actually remember when leaded petrol was removed, petrol stations still stocked it initially but then it slowly went away as cars updated. I have a feeling that this will happen to long term... Well anything requiring oil as fuel will disappear long term... And I don't fancy changing the bike to electric 😂😂

yanw

Postby yanw » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:56 am

If you replace the fuel lines you still have the issues with the brass in the carbs I think. I purchased a small 30ml aromatherapy oil bottle to take a full (plus a bit) tanks worth of stabiliser with me. It works out at 1.4ml per litre.