Are they always...vague?

Need help with your brakes? Ask inside.
dunc1974

Are they always...vague?

Postby dunc1974 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Hello, I have just come down from a 2015 gsx-s1000 FA, which had brembo abs MEGA brakes, the best I have used So my new 2004 gpz has twin discs (and I have heard that they are meant to be awful etc) but I am almost concerned about their reluctance to bite. I am going to replace the lines and put new fluid in and replace the pads, but are the brakes as bad as everyone says they are?

yanw

Re: Are they always...vague?

Postby yanw » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:45 pm

The twin disk model has the better brakes....

New fluid and some organic pads for road use should help.

dunc1974

Postby dunc1974 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Yanw, that is good to hear. I do like to stop in time! Thanks for the reply.

ducatiman

Postby ducatiman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:03 pm

In addition to lines, fluid and pads....a caliper "full service" may be called for...cleaning and polishing the pistons. Keep in mind your '04 is now 13 years old, perhaps the calipers have never been fully serviced at all.

In the US, only single disc is available...we've had good results using stainless/braided line in addition to above service. "Hair trigger" brakes are the usual result....on one I've even replaced the front rotor using an inexpensive far east "wave rotor".....worked out surprisingly well. The light weight of the EX/GPZ is a contributory to decent stopping performance, provided all mentioned has been addressed.

dunc1974

Postby dunc1974 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:08 pm

ducatiman, the bike only has 6700 miles on it and it is shockingly clean (it's easy life is officially over!). I am going to start taking things apart in the spring. I can't go in the garage when its 0 degrees, i will retreat after 30 minutes and lose the will to live.

yorkie-col

Postby yorkie-col » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 pm

ha ha second that bro it's why I have a part stripped gen 1 just sitting there waiting for completion. just too bloody cold just now.
as for brakes yeah second ducatiman on this one. well serviced they are pretty good. I have a wavy disc on the gen 1. works very well I can lift the rear by jabbing on the front but normally one finger braking is all that is needed. but yes they are well serviced. as all things to do with these bikes. maintenance. maintenance. maintenance. the pistons stick. the pads don't slide and the slider pins get gummed up inside the rubber boots. all prevent the brakes working 100%.

ducatiman

Postby ducatiman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Surfaces under the piston seals build a corrosion, pushing out the seals, creating interference for pistons to react instantly to system pressure, when brakes both applied and released. More age related...low mileage is impertinent for this phenomena happening.

Suggest to give a look see when weather cooperates...I can relate to the cold....all my stuff away for winter.

dunc1974

Postby dunc1974 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm

I have to ride every day due to work so the brakes are having a rude awakening after a lifetime of laziness. I try to keep on top of ''good maintenance'' but sunshine makes it easier!

yorkie-col

Postby yorkie-col » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:24 am

yes it does. but there are several ways to improve them when you get the chance. if you have bikes the principal remain the same. but if you think about it small changes make a big difference. what I found out doing both bikes was.
the calliper has to be free to move. that is because some effort is required to move all the parts. so careful cleaning and greasing all the bits is required the more effort you need to make them work. the more is lost at the pads.

disks. I like vented wavy discs because they generate less heat and cool quicker. more heat more brake fade the less braking effort.

braided hoses. because they don't expand under pressure. rubber hoses do this loses some of the effort applied at the lever.

ZXR GPZ600 or similar master cylinder at the lever. because those bikes have twin front brakes so require a higher capacity chamber at a higher pressure. more pressure at the lever more pressure on the pads gripping the disc.

good quality pads either organic or sintered. less wear more grip.

add them all up together and the small differences will give big gains overall.