Cheap eBay brake pads

Need help with your brakes? Ask inside.
Hamburg

Re: Cheap eBay brake pads

Postby Hamburg » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 pm

I’ve got no idea what pads are in mine but could considering the front is just a single disk, they really are not that bad, if I’m carrying a bit of speed coming towards a junction then I do need a dab of the rear, but I think the brakes are pretty good for a 24 year old bike, the light weight of the bike makes a huge difference.
1994 Kawasaki GPZ500S
1973 Yamaha TX500

Martinj

Postby Martinj » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Some good info there ,Col.
91 gpz500
79 cx500deluxe
Interceptor 650

Shiney

Postby Shiney » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:31 am

Thanks Col!

yorkie-col

Postby yorkie-col » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 am

hi guys. thanks hope it helps. there is a follow on if anyone is interested I didn't go into. that's once the brake has been set.
you can test the theory. by rotating the wheel slowly by hand. if its' set correctly the wheel will revolve freely. if it doesn't and binds a bit something is still stiff or out of line. because the flexing of the rubber seals and slide pin rubbers should be enough to pull the pistons and slider away from the disc. and also if the wheel is revolved and it catches and then releases then catches again the disc is warped may be not enough to fail the MOT but warped none the less.

the last test you can do is operate the brake while spinning the wheel by hand. the slightest touch should operate the brake and then squeezing it further makes it solid with little movement of the lever. if there is a lot of movement in the lever. then either the pads are set too far away from the disc. or your losing pressure somewhere from the lever to the pads. perhaps the MC seals are passing fluid back from the system. or the lever feels spongy but the brake works there is still some air in there somewhere.