Gen1 rear drum brake

Need help with your brakes? Ask inside.
Martinj

Gen1 rear drum brake

Postby Martinj » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:03 pm

A query regarding the position of the chrome actuating arm on the rear drum. Is the slot in the arm where the lock bolt passes through, meant to line up with the dots on the protruding shaft?
91 gpz500
79 cx500deluxe
Interceptor 650

john

Re: Gen1 rear drum brake

Postby john » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Not really.
The best way to set the arm is put the wheel back in without it on, then set the "wear" marker on the splines so it is at the front end of the marker strip on the hub.
Thinking "clock face", 12 straight up,6 straight down, set the arm on the splines so it is at 7 o'clock and bolt up, push the arm by hand till the brakes come on, the arm should be at roughly the 5 o'clock position....if not move it a spline to suit......job's a good'un, :lol: :lol:

Martinj

Re: Gen1 rear drum brake

Postby Martinj » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 pm

That was my thinking. Lining up as I mentioned puts the arm at 5 o clock, which is not a good position to start from. I had got the 7 o clock position as the correct one but I seemed to have it in the back of my mind, that it should be positioned as I had mentioned. I wonder if that setting is for the cx?
The wear marker was going to be my next question as to where it’s starting point should be.
My brake shoes still have some meat left, but they must be a few years old now and after the recent issues you & Col I have had, I’m seriously thinking of replacing them.
Cheers.
91 gpz500
79 cx500deluxe
Interceptor 650