Rear brake pedal flloors.

Need help with your brakes? Ask inside.
D-Tox

Rear brake pedal flloors.

Postby D-Tox » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi all,

When out on my bike last I noticed that there was far too much travel on the rear brake pedal.
I've bled the brake multiple times, but whatever I do the pedal always bottoms out with minimal force.
I'm constantly topping up the fluid level so I'm not sucking new air in.

my procedure is

pump brake pedal 6 times and hold down.
Crack bleed valve for a second and re-tighten.
Repeat

I have a 30mm hose connected with a jubilee clip to the bleed nipple. On the other end is a non return valve with a tube leading to drain.

Does it matter having the reservoir cap on or off?

I've tried both and see no difference.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

yanw

Re: Rear brake pedal flloors.

Postby yanw » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:06 pm

I was having an issue bleeding the rear brake. I tried reverse bleeding which didn't work. I then tried the trick where you crack the banjo bolt open on top of the master cylinder but it was corroded AF. I ended up getting something like this and it was much easier to bleed. Make sure you get the right size and not necessarily this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1584150239

D-Tox

Postby D-Tox » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Mine turned out to be M10 x 1.25

I've got one on order.

Hopefully this will get something back into the pedal.
The back brake ins't worth applying as it is so the bike is off the road until I manage to solve this.

Many thanks for the suggestion

yanw

Postby yanw » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Let us know how you get on, hopefully it will make it easier.

yorkie-col

Postby yorkie-col » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:51 am

I reckon there is something wrong with it apart from just air. the tolerance on the disc grab is so small. if you can't get resistance on the pedal either the pads are moving too far away from the disc when running and it takes all the pedal movement just to apply it or fluid is not being compressed enough. had similar issue on the front brake. turned out to be M/C piston rubbers allowing the fluid to pass them.

D-Tox

Postby D-Tox » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:41 am

Problem solved !!!!!

It would appear that after 12 hr up s of fiddling and lever pumping I must have had an air lock within the rear brake caliper.

East fix: I removed the brake caliper bolts and stuck a chock between the pads to prevent them from closing. I lifted the brake caliper up so it was higher than the reservoir with the bleed nipple at the highest point.

I bled the brake as normal and the pedal stiffened up within a few pumps.

I re-fitted the caliper and then re-bled the system with the brake caliper in place.

Works just fine now.

Thanks for all the replies.

yorkie-col

Postby yorkie-col » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 pm

yep that would do it. comes under the category of "fluid is not being compressed enough"