Loobman Chain Oiler

Information on all types of biking apparel and accessories.
Mere

Loobman Chain Oiler

Postby Mere » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Loobman fitting to my gen2 GPZ500. I have had Scottoilers (on other bikes) in the past but found the delivery of oil to be difficult to control with more often than not over delivery, causing the oil to be thrown over the rear tyre, which is definitely undesirable. So I opted for a Loobman which is not an automatic oiler but a dosage device which means that a button on top of the oiler has to be pressed to deliver a dose of oil down a tube to the chain. It is certainly inexpensive at £20.99 delivered direct from Loobman site. The original Loobman reservoir was a squeezy bottle, the current version is a rigid bottle and this has been described as being tricky to mount. I agree and thanks to lockdown I had quite some time to consider where to best place the reservoir on the GPZ. I was determined to complete a clean installation as having the reservoir exposed was not a look I wanted. In the end I found just enough space behind the left sidepanel. Loobman say any oil can be used. I opted for 85-90w gear oil and dose the chain every 50+ miles or so. Dosing means lifting the seat slightly and pressing the reservoir button for 10-15 seconds or so. Simple and no mess and great when on longer rides. Since fitting the Loobman 2k miles ago it has been reliable and the fragile looking delivery nozzle has stayed in place although it does need to be tweaked back into position following wheel removal / installation. Hopefully my chain will appreciate all this. I consider the Loobman is a brilliant device for the money and recommended.

The best location for the Loobman reservoir was under the left side panel by the RR. It <just> fits!
loob_1.JPG
Oil pipe routed down the frame to the swingarm. I used some black wiring shield to hide the clear delivery pipe and also to give it some protection just in case the chain lunched it.
loob_2.JPG
The business end showing the twin side delivery and supplied fixing, oh and a dose of oil being dispensed 8-) .
loob_3.JPG
The reservoir hidden behind the side panel.
loob_4.JPG
Clean install with no sign of the oiler!
loob_6.JPG

john

Re: Loobman Chain Oiler

Postby john » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:58 pm

Good looking bit of kit, :)
What size (roughly) is the oil container,? I had trouble getting mine underneath/out of sight. I ended up zip tying it under the front frame.

I have an old scottoiler and I agree, they are a pain to get the flow just right. I forgot I had left it on prime one morning and used a full bottle of oil on the way to work. Interesting negotiaing the roundabout when I came off the motorway with a tire coated in oil, :shock:

Mere

Postby Mere » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi John, sorry I haven't been on here for a while. The oil container is 525 mm diameter, I should have mentioned that I used a flashing cycle lamp bracket to mount with zip ties to secure. The tight fit means that it is not going anywhere. The sidepanels have to come off soon as a service is due so I'll take some better pics of the mount. Fully agree re Scotoilers belching oil out, certainly an oil covered rear tyre really is an OMG moment :shock: . The Loobman behaves itself so none of that, thankfully!

john

Postby john » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:36 am

Look forward to some more pics.

I made one for the twin disc, not sure if I have any pics anywhere, I'll have a search. Container with a basic on/off tap which regulated the flow.

Mere

Postby Mere » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:46 pm

My mate made similiar for his 120k Kwak W650, it works really well, I should have done the same really :lol: