rear brake lever hieght adjustment

Need help with your brakes? Ask inside.
daveo

rear brake lever hieght adjustment

Postby daveo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi-Recently aquired 2002 EX500 D7, I think you call them generation 2, with disc rear brake. Has anybody any tips as to how I can raise brake pedal higher ??
I find there is to much travel before brake starts to work. There does not seem to be any adjustment on the brake pedal Any ideas would be great. Many Thanks :oops: :oops:

Mere

Re: rear brake lever hieght adjustment

Postby Mere » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi, confirmed you indeed have a gen2 GPZ. The manual states that the standard position for the pedal is 50mm below the top of the footpeg (place a rule on the TOP of the footpeg and then measure from this line to the top of the pedal). Adjustment is made by adjusting the hex bolt connection on the slave cylinder.
However as you say there is too much travel before any action I would also check:

1) Is the lever bent out of shape? Any crash damage?
2) Condition of brake pads
3) Is the caliper piston slow / seized?
4) Do the caliper slide pins need regreasing
5) Check the condition of the brake line
6) Bleed the rear brake
7) Clean and regrease the brake pedal pivot
Not too bad really and the above should not take too long to sort.
Hope this helps!

daveo

Postby daveo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Many thanks for the reply Mere. There is some evidence of crash damage on R/H/S. the brake pedal was bent in towards the crankcase, so I bent it back after heating it. Not very much though.
Will check the height from the footpeg first and then go through the items you have listed. The brake hose seems fine, but will check every item out as you suggested. Many thanks for the help. :D :D

yorkie-col

Postby yorkie-col » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:18 am

hi glad you got a response to your question. afraid I'm not much help here as I don't have a disc rear brake. but following on from Mere's answer. logically if you think of the rear in a similar fashion to the front brake and work out what causes increased lever movement it might help. loose connections air in system, or excess movement in the calliper before the pads are applied. all the things that make the difference between a lever that works at 1/4 travel and one that goes all the way to the bars. you should find the answer.

daveo

Postby daveo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks for the replies, did all the items suggested by Mere. The old brake fluid was very grubby, bled all old stuff out and greased pins and brake lever etc.Was all much better, but still a bit low for me, personal preference I suppose. Adjusted brake pedal height to just over 40mm from top of footpeg. Now much better.
Has anyone fitted braided hoses ?? Do they make much difference ?? They did to my Honda CB500S, felt much better and sharper response.
Once again thanks for advice :D :)

yorkie-col

Postby yorkie-col » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 pm

yes and yes. as I said earlier in the thread I don't have a disc rear brake but it makes a huge difference on the front so it should improve the rear. I know the pipe is longer on the front so the difference may not be as great. but it only has to be a bit better to make a average brake into a good brake.

yanw

Postby yanw » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:52 pm

The original rubber hose on mine is enough to lock the back up and send me snaking down the road if I stamp on it. Your call on spending cash to flat spot your tyres and fill your undies in my book ;-)

Mere

Postby Mere » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:38 pm

daveo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:39 pm
Thanks for the replies, did all the items suggested by Mere. The old brake fluid was very grubby, bled all old stuff out and greased pins and brake lever etc.Was all much better, but still a bit low for me, personal preference I suppose. Adjusted brake pedal height to just over 40mm from top of footpeg. Now much better.
Has anyone fitted braided hoses ?? Do they make much difference ?? They did to my Honda CB500S, felt much better and sharper response.
Once again thanks for advice :D :)
Hi daveo, thanks for reporting back & glad your bike has responded to the maintenance tlc!
I replaced the brake hoses all round on mine with braided, exactly the same results you describe so definitely recommended as a relatively inexpensive improvement. The front brake is what it is though and a new hose won't massively improve its power. New hoses also tidied the bike up somewhat as the original hoses had rusty fittings.

Martinj

Postby Martinj » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 am

I put a braided line on the rear brake of the lads gen2 a few years ago. I believe it was a Venhill. The first one they sent was way too short. Phoned them & they exchanged it for one the correct length & said they would update the fitment info for the Gpz. So, if you buy a venhill & find it’s too short, it’s not you that’s cocked up.
91 gpz500
79 cx500deluxe
Interceptor 650